Arabian Majboos – Hot & Spicy
Basmati rice : 1 Kg
Big sized chicken pieces with skin : 1½ Kg
Finely sliced Onion : 2 medium sized
Tomatoes : 2, sliced into half
Carrot : 1 chopped
Ginger : ½ inch
Garlic : 6 cloves
Cardamom : 4
Cloves : 4
Cinnamon : 1 piece
Lemon juice : ¼ cup
Salt : As needed
Oil : As needed
Turmeric powder : ½tsp (optional)
Water : 6 cups
Coriander leaves for garnish
Boiled Eggs : 3
Chicken Majboos is an Arabian rice dish similar to Kerala Biriyani. Some people also call it as Arabic chicken Biriyani. This is a popular dish in northern Kerala. I learned this recipe from my sister in Dubai. She used to prepare it at home occasionally and we all love it. I am sure you will enjoy this Arabic Cuisine and will make spicy Chicken Majboos.
Don’t forget to share your photos and comments with us.
Arabian Majboos preparation
- Wash the chicken pieces and the rice thoroughly and separately under running water and keep it aside.
- Mix the ground spices garlic, ginger, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, lemon juice, turmeric powder (optional), salt and 2 tablespoon oil in a bowl.
- Apply ½ of this mix thoroughly over the chicken inside out and marinate it for one hour.
- In a large pan, heat ½ cup of oil, add the onions and saute it till they become translucent.
- Add the remaining ground spices, chicken pieces, carrots, tomatoes, salt and saute for about five minutes over low heat.
- Add water to the mix and let it boil.
- When the pieces get cooked, take out the chicken pieces along with tomatoes and keep it aside. Do not drain away the remaining water (Chicken broth).
- Filter the chicken broth and measure it. For 1 Cup of rice you need 1½ cup of broth. You can add more water if needed.
- Boil the chicken broth solution. Add the washed rice when it starts boiling.
- Reduce the heat, cover the broth and cook it for about 25 – 30 minutes (until the rice get cooked). Need not stir in between.
- When the cooking is over, uncover the dish and evenly stir it to let the cooked ingredients mix well.
- Meanwhile you can lightly fry / grill the chicken pieces.
- To serve, spread a rice layer and put chicken, tomato and boiled eggs on top. Cover with the rest of the rice.
- Garnish it with saute onion and coriander leaves. Serve warm.
Need more arabian recipes? Dont worry, try these.
This entry was written on
October 9th, 2014 by Cini P Moideen
and tagged with arabian
, rice food
, majboos recipe
, chicken majboos
, best majboos
, easy majboos
, majboos recipes
. Last revised on October 23rd, 2014.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I am Dr. Cini P Moideen, a doc by profession. With my sister I photograph and share favorite recipes from our kitchen. I write less frequently because of my studies, but when ever I am free, I tries to come up with a good recipe. Bingo :) You can follow Cini P Moideen at :