- Small new potatoes : 500 gm
- Spanish olive oil for frying : 2 cups
- Sliced garlic cloves : 2
- Crushed chillies :1/2 teaspoon
- Ground cumin : 1/2 teaspoon
- Paprika : 2 teaspoon
- White wine vinegar : 2 table spoon
- Red pepper-sliced : 1
- Salt to taste
Spanish potatoes / Bravas potatoes / Patatas Bravas simply means angry potatoes ( Not angry birds. 🙂 ). They are actually soft potatoes cooked in a spicy sauce , with a paste of garlic, chilies, cumin, paprika and vinegar and served as an appetizer, or tapas. There are variations in preparation like fried, boiled or roasted potatoes.
Spanish potatoes preparation
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into pieces of 1/3″ to 1/2″ size.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- In a wide, deep, heavy bottom frying pan pour the olive oil and fry the potatoes, turning them often until they turn a bright golden.
- Crush together the garlic, chillies and cumin and mix with the paprika and vinegar to form a thick paste.
- Apply the garlic mixture to the potatoes with the sliced pepper and cook.
- Stir it for around 2 – 3 minutes.
- Place the potatoes on a plate or in a wide open dish. Serve along with tomato ketchup and the parsley scattered over.