Prepration time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Persons served: 10 Persons
- Black Gram Dal / Urad Dal / Uzhunnu : 1 cup
- Rice Flour : 1 tbsp
- Chopped Onions : 1/2 cup
- Chopped Ginger : 1 inch piece
- Chopped Green Chillies : 3-4 nos
- Black Pepper powder : 1 tsp (crushed)
- Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
- Baking Soda : 1 pinch
- Salt : to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Uzhunnu Vada aka Medu Vada or Urad Dal Fritters is a popular south Indian snack usually served with Masala Dosa or taken as a breakfast itself.
Uzhunnu Vada Preparation
- Clean and soak the Urad dal for up to 3-4 hours.
- Drain it completely.
- Grind it to a smooth paste without adding water. If its hard to grind, sprinkle little water. But at the end the batter has to be as thick as possible.
- Transfer it to a large bowl.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger, green chillies, pepper powder, curry leaves, baking soda and salt to the dal batter in the bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of rice powder to this (to make the uzhunnu vada crispy) and mix well. Keep it idle for 10-15 minutes. (Some people refrigerate this during this time for easier molding).
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed Kadai / CheenaChatti and keep it in low flame.
- Keep a cup of water near you and wet your hand with this. This will prevent sticking of the batter to your hands.
- Now make round shaped ball with the thick batter and press it using the palm of your hand. With your finger make a hole in the center.
- Now drop it slowly and carefully to the hot oil.
- Fry them till they become golden color, by flipping in between.
- Drain into kitchen tissues.
- Repeat steps 8-11 with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with Sambar / Chutney.
- The batter should be as thick as possible with little water. At any time, if the batter gets thin, add more dal flour to make it thick.