Pearlspot fish / Karimeen (medium sized) : 2nos
Chopped Onions : ¼ kg
Chopped Ginger : a small piece
Chopped Garlic : a pod
Chopped Green chillies : 4
Turmeric powder : ¼ tsp
Pepper powder : ½ tsp
Tomatoes (finely chopped) : 4
Chill1 powder : 1 ½ tbsp
Cumin seeds : ¼ tsp
Cinnamon : 2 small pieces
Vinegar : 2 tbsp
Coconut oil : 4 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Karimeen (Pearl spot fish) Pollichathu is a typical and unique Kuttanadan (Allepey) fish preparation. It is marinated with a rich blend of hot spices and then baked in a banana leaf. If you take it once, you will always carve for it again. Here is the recipe for making Karimeen pollichathu at your home.
Preparation of Kuttanadan Karimeen Pollichathu
- Clean the karimeen fishes very well and drain them well till dry.
- Make obliques incisions over it.
- Slice the onions, ginger , garlic and green chillies into small pieces.
- Make a fine paste of Chilly powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, and cumin seed with little vinegar.
- In a heavy bottom pan (uruli) pour some coconut oil and heat it.
- Fry the cinnamon pieces in the pan.
- Add the #3 to the pan and saute it well.
- When the onions become cooked thoroughly, add the ground paste (#4) and fry it well in a low flame.
- Add the tomatoes and saute it till the raw smell goes, and saute well again.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water when the mixture is well sauteed.
- Add the salt and the remaining vinegar and mix well.
- Add our fish pieces into the gravy and saute it till the gravy thickens and the fish is cooked well.
- Wrap each piece of fish, along with the masala gravy in a banana leaf. Tie it securely with banana fibers and roast it on a hot tava.
- Serve it hot with your main dishes like Appam, Idiyappam, Rice etc..
- Use fresh Karimeen and the taste will be awesome.
Do you need more fish fry recipes?
This entry was written on
July 8th, 2016 by Cini P Moideen
and tagged with fish fry
, karimeen curry
, karimeen recipes
, non vegetarian
, kerala karimeen
, how to make karimeen fry
, karimeen fry
, karimeen pollichathu
. Last revised on July 15th, 2016.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I am Dr. Cini P Moideen, a doc by profession. With my sister I photograph and share favorite recipes from our kitchen. I write less frequently because of my studies, but when ever I am free, I tries to come up with a good recipe. Bingo :)
You can follow Cini P Moideen at :