Olan with Pumpkin / Kumpalanga / Mathanga – Kerala style
Share your recipes
The following information about this recipe was contributed by Seethalakshmi N: Recipe photo, Ingredients & Preparation.
Black eyed beans (Vanpayar) : 3/4 cups
Raw pumpkin : 1cup, cut into cubes
Green chillies : 4nos
Grated coconut : 1 half
Coconut oil : 1tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves : 1sprig
Salt : as needed
Here is the second side dish for your Vishu Sadhya. You can find other sadhya recipes in my previous posts. Olan is a traditional Kerala side dish which is regular at every Onasadya. Kerala Olan is made with red gram and vegetables (pumpkins) cooked in coconut milk, which gives it a rich and creamy texture.
Kerala Olan preparation
- Clean and soak the Red Cow peas (Vanpayar) for a long time in water (around 5 hours).
- Chop the pumpkin into small cubes and wash it well.
- Add the green chillies (sliced length wise), salt and the soaked red cow peas to this.
- Cook it well and drain (Don’t over cook the vegetables, they should retain their shapes).
- Collect the first extract of the coconut milk by squeezing the grated coconut with around half a liter of water.
- Collect the second extract also by pouring one liter of water once again into the grated coconut and squeezing it well.
- Add the 2nd extract of coconut milk to the cooked and drained vegetables.
- Allow it to boil and when it boils, switch off the flame and add the 1st extract of coconut milk.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds starts crackling, turn off the flame and add it to the dish. Mix well.
- Serve it hot with Sadhya.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I'm Renoos, officially called as Dr Regina M, a doctor at profession, good wife at home and a budding cook in Kitchen. I'm completely in love with food and you'll most likely find me covered in flour, chocolate or both if I am not at the hospital :)
You can follow Renoos at :