- Cleaned and deveined prawns : 2 cups
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Ginger crushed : 1 tsp
- Garlic crushed : 1 tsp
- Shallots (sliced vertically) : 1/2 cup
- Onion sliced : 1 large sized
- Green chilies (sliced lengthwise) : 3nos
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Tomatoes : 2 medium sized sliced
- Fenugreek powder : 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
- Black Pepper powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
- Oil : 3 tsp
- Salt : as needed
Prawn roast is one of my favorite sea food dish. Fortunately my mother cooks it very well. She prepares all sea food items very well. When ever I am going back to Kerala, I inform my mother in advance to collect some prawns. It is easily available in our place because of the proximity to the Neendakara Fishing harbor. Let me share this recipe with you.
Preparation of Spicy Prawn Roast.
- In a pan or a clay pot heat 1 cup water along with prawns, turmeric powder, black pepper powder and fenugreek powder. Cover the lid and allow it to boil for approximately 20 minutes (till it cooked).
- Mean while, heat a frying pan and pour oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they starts crackling add the shallots, onion, sliced green chillies and curry leaves. Saute it very well till the onion becomes brownish.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger, garlic, red chilly powder and coriander powder to the pan and saute it.
- When the prawns are cooked, add the #3 to to the clay pot along with garam masala and salt. Mix it and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- When the water dries up, add 1 tea spoon oil to the pot and saute well.
- Serve it along with steamed white rice.
If you have tried it let me know how it went. I will be very happy, if you love my mothers dish.