- Chinese potato / Koorka : 500 gms
- Small onion / Shallots : 10
- Garlic : 5 cloves
- Dry red chillies - 3 nos
- Turmeric powder : ½ tsp
- Chilli powder : ½ tsp
- Garam masala : ½ tsp
- Coconut bites : 1 cup
- Water : ½ cup
- Mustard seeds : ¼ tsp
- Coconut oil : 1 tsp
- Salt : as needed
- Curry leaves : 1-2 sprigs
Hi friends, its a long time since I posted a recipe here. Sorry for the delay. Got busy with my studies 🙂
Koorka season is back in Kerala now. I am sure, Koorka (Chinese potato) needs no introduction to any Keralite. Here I will serve a simple, but traditional Kerala recipe for Koorka thoran / Koorka mezhukupuratti recipe.
Koorka thoran recipe
- Wash the Koorka well and remove the mud from it.
- Peal the skin using a knife or peeler.
- Wash it again well under running water and cut the koorka into small pieces.
- Pressure cook them with coconut bites, turmeric powder, salt and with enough water to cover the whole pieces. Or you can cook them in a covered vessel too. Do not over cook it.
- Heat a pan, and add 1 tsp coconut oil. When it becomes hot, add the mustard seeds.
- Crush the shallots, garlic cloves, red chillies and add it to the pan when the mustard seeds starts cracking.
- Add chilli powder, garam masala and curry leaves too and saute it till the onions becomes brownish.
- Add the cooked potatoes and saute it under low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from fire and add 1 tsp of coconut oil, a few curry leaves and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with rice.
PS : to clean the Koorka easily soak it in water for 10-15 minutes and rub it over a rough, hard surface.