Prepration time: 45 Minutes
Persons served: 4 Persons
- Fresh Mussel / Kallumayakaya / Kadukka : 1 kg
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies : 3-4 (Slit lengthwise)
- Red Chillies : 3-4 (crushed)
- Ginger minced : 1 inch piece
- Garlic minced : 6-8 cloves
- Shallots : 5-6
- Onion : 3 medium (thinly chopped)
- Coriander powder : 11/2 tsp
- Garam Masala : 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Water : 4 tablespoons
- Grated Coconut :1/2 cup
- Chopped Coconut pieces : 1/2 cup
- Oil : 3 tbsp (Preferably coconut oil )
- Salt to taste
How to clean Mussel’s / Kallumakkaya?
- Wash and clean the mussels with shells.
- Soak them first in cold salted water for 30 minutes. This will expel the sand and other solid wastes inside it.
- Place them in pot with enough hot water. After some time the shells start splitting on one side.
- On the other side you may see some beard like black fibers. Remove it by forcefully pulling out it.
- Now with a strong knife, separate the shells into two and scoop out the mussel meat from inside.
- Wash it once more in hot water.
Kallumakkaya fry preparation
- Combine the mussel meat with 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, salt, green chillies, ginger-garlic mince, and a few curry leaves along with water.
- Cover and cook in an earthen pot (You can also use a cheenachatti / fry pan for this), stirring in between till the water dries off completely.
- Meanwhile, slightly crush the shallots, garlic and the chillies.
- In a wok/kadai/cheenachatti heat oil, and when it becomes hot add the thinly sliced onions and sauté till it turns to translucent and light golden brown.
- Add the crushed shallots, garlic, and chillies along with curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder and grated coconut and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked mussel meat and mix well.
- Add the crushed red chillies, garam masala and mix well.
- Cover it and cook for a few more minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let it cook till it is well blended.
- Serve the mussels or kallumakkayas hot with Rice.