- Apple - 2 big (4 cups) Pealed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- Plain flour - 2 1/2 cups for pastry + 1 table spoon for filling
- Butter - 100 g
- Salt - a pinch
- Cold water - 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Lemon rind - 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Egg - 1 (Lightly beaten)
Apple pie is a dessert of enduring popularity originated in America. There is even a saying America, “as American as apple pie” which means “typically American”. Its a fruit pie (Tart) with main ingredient as apple and served hot or cold, or with ice cream /whipped cream or on its own.
Apple pie preparation
- In a large bowl empty 2 1/2 cups of flour and mix in butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add in water, a little by little until the mixture comes together to form a ball.
- Knead lightly and put into a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For the filling, mix chopped apple, sugar, brown sugar, 1 table spoon flour, lemon rind and cinnamon powder in a bowl and keep aside.
- Take out the ball pastry from fridge and divide it into two, one a little larger than the other.
- Roll out both to a thickness of 1/8 inch.
- Use the smaller circle to cover the base and sides of an 8 inch pie dish. Fill this with the apple mixture.
- Cut out stripes of 1/2 inch thickness from the larger circle and place them in a criss-cross manner over the apple filling.
- Trim the edges along the dish.
- Preheat the oven in 180 degrees.
- Brush the top with beaten egg and bake the pie in 180 degrees for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and serve hot with any flavored Ice cream.
Unfortunately I missed my original photographs of this preparation. Thanks to Wikipedia for providing with a beautiful photograph of Apple pie.