- Minced meat – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Onions, finely chopped – 4
- Green chilies, chopped very finely – 10
- Ginger, mashed – one piece
- Garlic, mashed – 8 cloves
- Coriander leaves, chopped – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Mint leaves, chopped – 1 tsp
- Maida – 1 cup
- Water – as needed to make the maida batter
- Eggs – 5
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Oil – to fry
- Sugar – as needed
- Salt – to taste
Erachi pathiri (fried bread stuffed with Chicken masala) is a traditional Muslim food item, which is very delicious, rich meat-filled pastry. Erachi pathiri is very popular in Malabar and through out Kerala during the period of Ramadan. We usually prepares it in all iftars. It is a meal by itself. You can use Mutton, Beef or Chicken for the spicy meat filling.
Erachi pathiri preparation
- In a vessel add the minced meat, add salt and turmeric powder and place it on the fire until it is well cooked and all the water has dried up.
- Pour oil in a pan and heat it.
- Add onions, ginger, green chilies, coriander leaves, garlic, curry leaves and mint leaves to the pan and saute it.
- When the onions turn brownish, add the cooked meat and saute well and keep it aside.
- Knead the refined wheat flour (maida), salt and water and divide it into small balls. Roll out each ball into small globes, roughly the size of a poori.
- Take some of the meat mixture and spread it on top of a pathiri and place another pathiri on the top, to cover it.
- Press and seal all the edges well.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and cardamom powder together in a bowl well and keep aside.
- Using a spoon spread the blended egg thoroughly over each pathiri (coat it well with the egg mixture).
- Add some oil into a second pan and heat it.
- Now take each pathiri and fry it on the pan.
- Turn it over as needed, until both sides are well cooked.
- Serve with tomato ketchup.
- While kneading the wheat flour, boil together water salt and 1tsp oil in low flame. So the dough won’t stick together.
Hope you all will try Erachi pathiri for this Ramadan and will let me know your feedback. If you are preparing erachi pathiri in a different way, do let me know through the comments below.