Share your recipes
The following information about this recipe was contributed by Sherly James: Recipe photo, Ingredients & Preparation.
Rice flour : 1 cup
Grated coconut : 1½ cup
Thick jaggery syrup : ½ cup
Cardamom powder : 1 tsp
Ghee : 1 tsp
Water : 1 cup
Salt : A pinch
Kozhukkatai is a traditional Kerala Christian recipe (particularly among the Syrian Christians) which were made during the time of Easter. Kozhukkatai is also one among the most popular Kerala sweet which is prepared from rice flour, grated coconut and jaggery. The dough for Kozhukkatai is made similar to that of Idiyappam.
This is a special recipe for Palm Sunday (In Kerala Kurutholla Perunaal).
- Preferably sieve the flour to remove the larger sized lumps.
- Add salt, ghee to water and boil it.
- Pour this water into the rice powder and knead well to make smooth dough, without lumps.
- Make big lemon sized balls out of this dough.
- Heat a thick bottomed sauce pan, add a spoon of oil / ghee and mix the grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Roast it for some time and pour in the jaggery syrup.
- Keep it over the flame till the moisture dries up with constant stirring.
- Switch off the flame and transfer it to a bowl (optional)
- Spread a little oil on your palm and take a ball of dough and flatten in slightly (make it into 3-5mm thick and 6-8cm diameter rolls).
- Put a spoonful of the mixture (#7) in this and secure all the sides and roll lightly.
- Prepare the entire balls using the rest of the dough.
- Steam the kozhukkattas (in an idiyappam / idly maker) till done and serve them warm.
- Instead of ghee, you can add a teaspoon of oil also. This will make the dough soft and smooth.
- Keep the dough covered with a wet cloth all the time, to avoid the dough from drying out.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I'm Renoos, officially called as Dr Regina M, a doctor at profession, good wife at home and a budding cook in Kitchen. I'm completely in love with food and you'll most likely find me covered in flour, chocolate or both if I am not at the hospital :)
You can follow Renoos at :