This is a guest recipe contributed by Sherly James.
The following information about this recipe was contributed by Sherly James:
Recipe photo, Ingredients & Preparation.
Rice flour : 2 cups
Grinded coconut : 3 cups
Grinded rice : 1tsp
Sugar : 1cup
Mashed bananas : 1/2 cup
Maida : 150gm
Sugar : 4tsp
Egg : 1
Cashewnut and Raisins ( Kismis / Dried grapes ) : as needed
Salt as needed
Cardomom : 4 or 5 seeds crushed
Baking soda : 1 pinch
Vattayappam is an easy to prepare, a traditional 4’O clock snack food. This recipe is contributed by our subscriber Shirly. We made some slight modifications to us and used smashed bananas also as an ingredient. That’s the main difference from the usual vattayappam recipes. Try this recipe at home and let me know your feed backs.
Vattayappam is a typical Kerala Christian snack item prepared usually during Christmas and Easter days.
- Mix Rice flour, Grinded coconut, Grinded rice, Sugar, Mashed bananas, cardamom and salt well in a large bowl.
- Add 1 pinch baking soda to the mix and keep it aside for 1 hour.
- Mix well maida, egg, sugar in a mixer.
- When the batter is ready mix the two solutions together and blend it thoroughly. Kept it idle for half an hour. (Make sure that the batter is not too loose )
- Heat the idli cooker with half
- Apply a little ghee/oil in a cake tin (idli cooker) & pour the batter into it.
- Decorate with some cashew nuts and raisins on the the top.
- Steam it for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve as evening snacks or as breakfast foods with spicy Chicken Curry, Mutton Curry or any curry of your choice and Enjoy!
This entry was written on
April 15th, 2016 by Renoos
and tagged with how to make vattayappam
, kerala food recipe
, kerala vattayappam
, kerala snacks
, vatteppam recipe
, vattayappam recipe
. Last revised on April 24th, 2016.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I'm Renoos, officially called as Dr Regina M, a doctor at profession, good wife at home and a budding cook in Kitchen. I'm completely in love with food and you'll most likely find me covered in flour, chocolate or both if I am not at the hospital :)
You can follow Renoos at :