Eating right foods at the right time along with proper exercise is the best way to reduce your tummy (abdomen). You can lower your belly fat by modifying your diet. Here are some foods to reduce your tummy size.
Water, water everywhere
You should drink around 8 glasses of water per day. Replace all other beverages, especially fizzy drinks and carbonated and sugar drinks which are full of empty calories. This will keep your bowels moving and will help to flush out toxins from your system. This will keep your body hydrated. You can analyze the hydration status by analyzing your urine. If you are hydrated well, your urine should be a light yellow or clear color. If it is dark yellow with an odor it indicates you are dehydrated – Increase your water intake.
If you find drinking regular water boring, then try “sassy water” instead – Sassy water is spruced up water named by Prevention magazine in honor of its inventor Cynthia Sass, who created it for the “Flat Belly Diet”. This water tastes well and is having almost no calories. The ginger content also helps to calm your digestive system.
Learn how to make Sassy Water?
Take more Almonds
A recent research conducted by University of Purdue has found that though almonds are good to lower your tummy fat. Almonds do not contribute to belly fat. In addition, they contain vitamin E, which is good for your skin.
Almonds are also high in fibre and protein content. Fibre rich, will satisfy your hunger and improves the digestion process, leading to a flat stomach. They are also low in calories, with ten almonds costing you approximately 78 calories only.
Eggs to weight loss
Eggs are a source of complete protein. They supply all essential amino acids for humans and provide several vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, B2, B9,B6,B12, choline, iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium.
Hard boiled eggs are easy for digestion and free from salmonella poisoning.
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Apple has low calories, 100 g of fresh fruit slices provide only 50 calories. The fruit is rich in dietary fibers and anti oxidants. They also contains good quantity of vitamin c and beta carotene. Apple also is a good source of riboflavin, thiamin, and pyridoxine (vitamin B-6). These vitamins help as co-factors for enzymes in metabolism as well as in various synthetic functions inside the body.
Add more fish and fish products
Fatty fish tend to have more omega-3s than leaner fish, but even “fatty” fish contain less fat than lean beef or chicken. Even canned fish like tuna, sardines, and salmon, when eaten bones and all, pack your meal with plenty of good-for-your-bones calcium, too.
Replace rice, wheat etc with maize
Rice, wheat etc are rich in carbohydrates. Replace them with dosa, upmav etc made using maize. Maize is rich in protein and vitamin B.
Reduce your salt
Reduce the salt intake. Sodium causes water retention and makes you appear bloated – especially around your abdominal region. Stay away from sauces
Vegetables are your friends
Check our Vegan recipes.
High fat dairy products
A study published in 2012 proves consumption of high-fat dairy was associated with a lower risk of weight gain over time. It is also found that, they are good source of Vitamin K2 and can lower risk of cardiovascular diseases also.
Foods to avoid
Above mentioned items are those which you can include in your food. It is important to notice that there are some food items which will cause fat deposition in your body and will cause increased tummy size.
You have to avoid these foods from your diet.
- Cut the CRAP : Avoid the four main food groups that cause fat deposition in our bodies: Caffeine, Refined sugar, Alcohol and Processed foods.
- Avoid sodas, energy drinks etc..
- Avoid white bread which are low in fiber, high in carbohydrate and leads to a hike in blood sugar level.
- Don’t give in for fast foods. Fast foods are the one making you fat.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid chewing gums – as you chew gum, you swallow air which gets trapped in your GI tract and causes pressure, bloating and belly expansion.
- Avoid foods which are gassy – cabbage, onion, dals etc.
Additional tips to reduce your tummy size
- Always have your breakfast – If you don’t have time for a proper breakfast, just grab a piece of fruit and few nuts.
- Don’t eat after 8PM / Don’t go to bed with a full stomach.
- Drink a glass of water before eating.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat for change – Eat early, Eat often, Eat slowly, Eat green.
- Eat slowly and chew foods well – When you eat quickly, you take in large gulps of air without realising it.
- Take a 5 minute walk after a meal.
- Dont talk while having food.
- Get atleast 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
- Avoid stress.
- Cut out fast food, soda, sodium.
- Five servings of fresh fruits or veggies.
- Enrich your diet with fiber.
- Proper exercise – Do cardio 20 minutes, 5 days a week. Do push-ups. Leg lifts, climb stairs.
- More than all above – Stay inspired and don’t loss your determination.
PS : Always its better to make an appointment with your doctor before attempting to lose weight. He / She can help you decide how much weight to lose and how quickly.