Chicken Majboos is an Arabian rice dish similar to Kerala Biriyani. Some people also call it as Arabic chicken Biriyani. This is a popular dish in northern Kerala. I learned this recipe from my sister in Dubai. She used to prepare it at home occasionally and we all love it. I am sure you will enjoy this Arabic Cuisine and will make spicy Chicken Majboos.
Don’t forget to share your photos and comments with us.
Arabian Majboos preparation
- Wash the chicken pieces and the rice thoroughly and separately under running water and keep it aside.
- Mix the ground spices garlic, ginger, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, lemon juice, turmeric powder (optional), salt and 2 tablespoon oil in a bowl.
- Apply ½ of this mix thoroughly over the chicken inside out and marinate it for one hour.
- In a large pan, heat ½ cup of oil, add the onions and saute it till they become translucent.
- Add the remaining ground spices, chicken pieces, carrots, tomatoes, salt and saute for about five minutes over low heat.
- Add water to the mix and let it boil.
- When the pieces get cooked, take out the chicken pieces along with tomatoes and keep it aside. Do not drain away the remaining water (Chicken broth).
- Filter the chicken broth and measure it. For 1 Cup of rice you need 1½ cup of broth. You can add more water if needed.
- Boil the chicken broth solution. Add the washed rice when it starts boiling.
- Reduce the heat, cover the broth and cook it for about 25 – 30 minutes (until the rice get cooked). Need not stir in between.
- When the cooking is over, uncover the dish and evenly stir it to let the cooked ingredients mix well.
- Meanwhile you can lightly fry / grill the chicken pieces.
- To serve, spread a rice layer and put chicken, tomato and boiled eggs on top. Cover with the rest of the rice.
- Garnish it with saute onion and coriander leaves. Serve warm.