- Potato : 3 nos
- Carrot : 1 no
- Green chilly : 6nos (vertically sliced into halves)
- Onion : 3 (medium, sliced vertically)
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : 2 springs
- Salt : as needed
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin (jeera) powder : 1/2 tsp
- Water : 2 cups
- Capsicum: 1 (optional)
Here is a recipe for that South Indian vegetable masala curry prepared from a mixture of mashed vegetables like potatoes, carrots, beans etc. You can serve this with Masala Dosa / Ghee roast / Poori / Idiyappam / Kerala Appam etc.
Preparation of Vegetable Masala
- Clean the vegetables properly.
- Peel the skin of potatoes and carrot and cut them into medium sized cubic pieces of size 1-2 inch
- Pressure cook the potatoes, carrot, capsicum, green chillies, onions, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt up to 4 whistles with necessary water.
- Turn off the flame, allow steam to escape. Open the lid and smash the vegetables with the back of a spoon.
- Keep the stock (water of cooked veggies) for further use if needed.
- Heat oil in a Kadai / CheenaChatti splutter the mustard seeds with curry leaves.
- Saute a little and add the curry leaves.
- Transfer the contents from pressure cooker to the pan and mix well.
- Add garam masala, mix and cook for five more minutes.
- Depending on the thickness of gravy you need, keep it on flame until the gravy thickens.
- Check its taste and add more salt accordingly.
- When it becomes thick (as you need) remove this delicious masala from flame.
- Serve it hot with Masala Dosa / Ghee roast / Poori / Idiyappam / Kerala Appam.