- Raw plantain : 1 no (Sliced into small cubes)
- Long yard beans / Pacha Payar (chopped) : 1/2 cup
- Shallots / Pearl Onions: 2-3 nos
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Grated Coconut : 1/2 cup
- Dried Red chillies : 2-3nos (optional)
- Green chillies : 3
- Mustard seeds : 1tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Salt : as needed
Thoran is a very popular and common Kerala dry dish traditionally made of finely chopped vegetables (any vegetable of choice) such as bitter-gourd, unripe jack fruit, cabbage or leaves such as green or red cheera, Moringa etc. These chopped vegetables are mixed with grated coconut, mustard seeds, curry leaves and turmeric powder and briefly stirred on a pan over a very hot fire. Thoran is usually served along with steamed rice.
Preparation of Payar Kaya thoran
- Peel the plantain and chop it into small cubes. Chop the long yard bean also.
- Wash them thoroughly under running water.
- Cook the sliced plantain and the beans together with half cup water, salt and turmeric powder in a pan.
- Mix the grated coconut, green chillies,shallots to a coarse form in a mixer (optional red chillies too) .
- When the plantain and beans are cooked add the ingredients in the mixer to the pan and saute.
- Cover the pan and cook on medium heat and saute in between.
- In another pan add oil, splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves and saute.
- Transfer the cooked ingredients (#4) to the second pan (#5) and cook till the plantain become soft.
- Serve hot with rice and curd.