- Pappadam / Plain Pappads : 15 nos
- Raw Rice : 1/2 cup
- Dry Red Chillies : 6 nos or Red Chilli Powder : 1tsp
- Turmeric Powder : a pinch
- Black Sesame Seeds : 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder : a pinch
- Salt : to taste
- Water : 3/4 cup or as needed
- Coconut Oil : for deep frying
Pappada vada is a traditional Kerala evening snack food. You will find this snack item in the local hotels or tea stalls through out Kerala. Its a tasty and easy to prepare one. Pappada vadas are prepared by deep frying the pappads (Kerala papadam) dipped in the rice batter.
I remember those good old days, my grandfather used to bought this to home when he returns from the shop. I really miss those days. Love you grand pa..
Pappada vada preparation
- Wash and clean the rice and soak it in water for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain out water and grind the soaked rice along with dry red chillies (or chilly powder) and turmeric powder into a smooth paste in a mixer adding enough water.
- Transfer it to a medium sized bowl and add salt, black sesame seeds, cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida and mix everything well together.
- In a deep bottomed frying pan, heat the coconut oil and reduce the heat to medium.
- Dip each pappads in rice batter (make sure pappads are well coated with the batter) one by one at a time and deep fry them till golden color on both the sides (1-3 pappads at a time depending upon the size of your pan).
- Drain on Kitchen tissues and serve hot with black tea or store in air tight containers.
- My mom dries the pappads in sun for about 15 to 30 minutes before the preparation. This will make the pappada vada more crispy.