Prepration time: 45 Minutes
Persons served: 4 Persons
- Ripe mangoes (small sized variety) : 8nos
- Turmeric powder : ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder : 1 tsp
- Scraped coconut : 1/2 coconut
- Cumin : 1 tsp
- Thick curd, a little sour (beaten) : ½ Litre
- Fenugreek powder : 1 tsp
- Coconut oil : 1 tbsp
- Mustard : 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies (cut into 2) : 2
- Curry leaves : 10-12
- Salt : to taste
Don't know about an ingredient?
Check our food dictionary!
Check our food dictionary!
Mango mania is back again!
Today I will share with you a great recipe which is a combo of sweet and sour, the ripe mango curry (pazham manga curry). This is an authentic and traditional Kerala dish. Mambazha pulissery is a part of Grand Kerala Sadya (the feast) cuisine also.
This is an easy to prepare dish which goes well with parboiled rice.
Ripe mango curry recipe
- In a cup of water cook the ripe mangoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Using a mixer, grind the coconut and cumin into a fine paste.
- Add the above paste (#2) to the mangoes (#1) when they begin to cook.
- When the coconut and mangoes have cooked evenly, add the beaten curd.
- Cook for a very short time (Do not allow the curd to boil) and remove it from the stove.
- Allow it to cool lightly and then sprinkle the fenugreek powder over it.
- In a pan heat the oil add the curry leaves, mustard, dry red chillies and stir to fry them.
- Top the mango curry with the stir fried mix .
- Serve it hot with parboiled rice.
Your pazham manga / ripe mango curry is ready to serve.
June 10, 2013 at 12:11 am
Reeja, it is a nice recipe. I liked it. I have heard about a ripe mango curry that is prepared without boiling it. Do you have any idea, it is also from Malabar/Kerala.
June 10, 2013 at 12:44 am
@Usha : Greetings. We wont allow the curd to boil while preparing mango curries. It should only be warmed lightly.
I don’t know about a method of preparing ripe mango curry with out warming the curd. Let me discuss it with my friends and if I find it, I will let you know. Don’t forget to share it with me if you get it 🙂
August 7, 2013 at 11:04 am
Thanks i prepared it…was delicious and mouthwatering
August 7, 2013 at 11:37 am
Hi Manju, thank you for trying our recipe and taking time to send your feedback. Glad to hear the dish came out well for you.
September 11, 2013 at 8:10 pm
Man! That curry looks and smells soooooo captivating and fantastic! Coconut and mango….a perfect flavor burst 🙂
September 13, 2013 at 12:45 am
Exactly Nusrat 🙂 . Thanks a lot for taking the time to visit our site and leaving your comment.
February 26, 2017 at 2:04 pm
This tastes good. A bit on the sweet side so next time I will use more chillies
April 14, 2017 at 2:58 pm
@PDas: that’s the real flavor of pazham manga curry.. it needs to be sweet 🙂
Thanks for trying the recipe..