- Beef: 1 Kg
- Cooking oil: 2 tablespoon
- Onion (sliced into thin pieces): 2 medium-sized
- Sliced green chilies: 4 numbers
- Coriander powder: 2 tablespoon
- Chilly powder: 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Meat masala: 1/4 teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste: 2table spoons
- Fenugreek / Uluva: 1 teaspoon
- Shallot onions: 4 numbers
- Curry leaves: 2 twig
- Coriander leaves / Malliyila: 1 twig (optional)
- Salt: as needed
- Water: as needed
So, friends, it’s the 21st day after the nationwide lockdown. I am really enjoying these unexpected holidays I got with my family. I hope you are also enjoying these holidays. But please remember those suffering/lost their fight to the deadly COVID-19 pandemic and consider them in your prayers.
Remember the five things:- Stay home – Keep a safe distance – Wash hands often – Cover your cough – Call the helpline if you are sick.
It’s a long time I wrote something here at CheenaChatti. I was carried away with jobs and other personal issues. These unexpected holidays have given me some time to be back with my passion – cooking.
It was Laylat al-Bara’at yesterday and I was thinking about preparing pathiri and beef curry for the iftar. Then only I realized we don’t have beef curry recipe here at Cheenachatti. So here I am sharing my way of beef curry preparation. This is a simple recipe, which you can easily follow. Please drop your comments/suggestions below if you have tried this recipe.
Beef curry preparation
- Cut the beef into small pieces of approximately 1cm size. Wash thoroughly under running water. Drain the pieces well.
- In a deep bottomed pan (or a 2-liter pressure cooker), pour 2 tablespoons cooking oil and heat it.
- Add sliced onions, green chilies and mix it well.
- When the onions start changing color, add ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add the masalas (Chilly powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, and Meat masala) and mix well – see our post on how to prepare masala powders at home to learn meat masala preparation.
- After this add the meat pieces and mix well.
- Pour about 1 cup (200ml) of water – close the cooker with the lid and allow it to cook for about 30 minutes (approximately 5 whistles).
- Preparation of seasoning:
For seasoning heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a frypan.
Add fenugreek and once it starts cracking, add the sliced shallot onions, curry leaves and saute it for 3-5 minutes in medium flame until shallots turn golden brown and put it as a seasoning over the curry.
- Serve the beef curry hot with appam, pathiri, thikidi or with parotta.