- Green Jack Fruit : 2 large cups
- Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
- Water : 2 cups
- Shallots : 10 nos
- Red chilly : 6 nos
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : 1 sprigs
- Oil : 2 tblspoon
- Salt : as needed
Though I live in a village area, I haven’t tasted Chakka thoran / chakka ularthiyath till yesterday. Yesterday, my grandma, came home and she prepared this awesome dish for us. After tasting it, I feel sad for not trying it so far. Friends, this is a native Kerala dish you should try at least once.
Chakka ularthiyath / Chakka thoran / Jackfruit curry
- Slice the green jackfruits into ring sized pieces and wash it.
- Pressure cook the sliced jackfruits, salt, turmeric powder and water up to 2 whistles and turn of the flame.
- Crush the shallots, red chillies in an mixer.
- In a pan add oil, mustard seeds and saute.
- When the seeds begin to crackle add the curry leaves, the crushed shallots and red chillies.
- Saute, them till it becomes brownish.
- Add the cooked jackfruit and mix it well.
- Serve it hot.
This can be served as a main dish or as a side dish along with rice.