Prepration time: 45 Minutes
Persons served: 4 Persons
- Brown chickpeas / Chana / Kadala : 1cup
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coconut pieces, sliced small : 1 - 2 tbsp
- Shallots, vertically sliced : 5 nos
- Green chillies, sliced small : 6nos
- Ginger chopped : 1 tsp
- Garlic chopped : 1tsp
- Grated coconut : 1cup
- Cumin seeds (Jeerakam) : 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick (Karukapatta) : 2 nos
- Star anise (Thakolam) : 1 petal
- Fenugreek (Uluva) : 1/4th tsp
- Coriander powder : 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder : 1tsp
- Garam masala powder-1/4tsp
- Curry leaves : 2 sprig
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Water : as required
- Salt : as required
- Coconut oil : 2 tbsp
Kadala curry served with Puttu is the most common breakfast food in Kerala. Almost all Keralites love this classic breakfast dish.
Preparation of Kadala curry
- Soak black gram in water for 8 hours and drain the water completely.
- Pressure cook the drained Kadala (Chickpeas) along with salt, turmeric powder, coconut pieces, green chillies, shallots, chopped ginger & garlic and 1 cup of water up to 8 whistle or till Kadala become soft.
- Meanwhile in a pan pour 1 tbsp coconut oil, and when it become warm add cinnamon stick, star anise, fenugreek and saute till brown.
- Add grated coconut, cumin seeds, one shallot to the pan and roast it till it becomes brown.
- Allow the ingredients to cool and blend it into a fine paste by adding a little water in a mixer.
- In another pan pour 1tbsp coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves, coriander powder, red chilli powder and saute till it becomes warm.
- Transfer the ingredients in the cooker along with water and the grounded paste in the mixer to the above pan and mix well.
- Sprinkle garam masala , mix well and cook for another 10 minutes with the lid covered.
- Serve the Kadala curry hot with Kerala puttu, Chiratta puttu, Appam, Idiyappam etc..
- If you prefer not to use coconut, Skip the steps 3, 4 and 5.
- You can use chilli powder according to your spice level.
- You can use water until the gravy achieves your desired consistency.