- Cherupayar / Green gram: 1 cup
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder 1/2 tsp
- Shallots / Sambar Onion : 1/3 cup sliced
- Garlic 1 tsp (Crushed)
- Green chillies: 2 sliced lengthwise
- Dry red chillies: 2-3 nos
- Curry leaves: few
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste (1/4 tsp)
Hi all, it’s a long time I wrote a post in cheenachatti. Sorry, I was busy with my post graduation, exams, family and profession. After a long time, here I am back with a lip smacking recipe of Kerala style green gram curry (Cherupayar curry). The curry pairs perfectly with Chiratta Puttu / Puttu( Kerala steam cake) / Appam / Idiyappam / Chappathi. This is very simple and easy to prepare recipe, even for the beginners like me. Hope you all will try it and share your feedback with me.
Preparation of Cherupayar curry
- Wash and soak the green gram beans in water for overnight (minimum 6 hours).
- Pressure cook the grams with water and 1/4 teaspoon salt for upto two whistles.
- Switch off flame.
- In a pan, pour 1 tablespoon coconut oil, heat it and splutter the mustard seeds followed by dry red chillies, green chillies, shallots and crushed garlic. Saute for about a minute time and add the cooked green gram. Add the curry leaves too.
- To the mix in pan, add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder, 1 cup of water and then bring to a boil.
- Add salt or chilli powder if required.
- Keep sauteing and turn off the flame when adequate consistency is achieved.
- Serve hot with puttu / steamed rice flour / appam.