- Cleaned sliced jackfruit seeds : 2 cups.
- Coconut scraped : 1 cup.
- Shallots / Kochulli : 2 nos
- Green chilly : 6 nos
- Turmeric powder-½ tsp
- Mustard seeds: ½ tsp.
- Garlic pods : 4 nos
- Coconut oil : 1-2 tbsp
- Curry leaves and salt to taste.
Thoran / mezhukkupuratti is a dry side dish in Kerala served along with steamed rice. It is traditionally made of finely chopped vegetables mixed together with grated coconut, turmeric powder, mustard seeds and curry leaves and briefly stirred on a pan / cheenachatti over a very hot fire.
Jackfruit is a very popular fruit in Kerala and I am sure that every Keralites love it. This Chakkakuru thoran / Jackfruit stir fry / Chakkakuru mezhukkupuratti is an easy to prepare thoran recipe and it goes well with hot rice.
Preparation of Chakkakuru thoran
- Peel off the skin of seeds, clean and divide it into two halves and then into small pieces.
- In a mixer blend the grated coconut, cumin seeds, green chillies, garlic and onion and run it once to get a coarse form.
- Cook the jack fruit seeds (chakkakuru) along with turmeric powder, curry leaves, salt and a little water in a vessel.
- When it gets cooked, lower the flame and add the coconut mixture into this cooked seeds and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan / cheenachatti or a kadai.
- Splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the jack fruit seed – coconut mixture to the pan (#6) and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice.