- Grated beetroot : 1 medium size
- Turmeric powder : 1/4th tsp
- Beaten curd : 2cup
- Green chillies : 7 nos
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Grated coconut : 2 cup
- Ginger : 1/2 inch piece
- Cumin seeds / jeerakam : 1/4 tsp
- Water : 3tbsp
- Salt : as needed
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Shallots : 1 large sliced
- Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Pachadi is a traditional South Indian side-dish similar to North Indian Raita made of fresh vegetables, Yogurt, coconut, green or red chillies sauted and garnished in oil with fried mustard seeds, ginger and curry leaves. It is usually served as an accompaniment for rice, snacks like idli, dosa etc. Pachadi can be prepared with many type of vegetables. This is a recipe for preparation of Beetroot Pachadi.
Don’t forget to check our Pumpkin pachadi recipe too.
Preparation of Beetroot Pachadi
- Clean the beetroot, grate it and keep aside.
- In a pan cook the grated beetroot, salt, turmeric powder, 1 tbsp water with lid closed and saute in between.
- Meanwhile in a mixer, grind ½ tsp mustard seeds, cumin seeds, grated coconut, ginger and green chillies into a paste form by adding 3 tbsp water.
- Once the beetroot is cooked (softened) well, transfer the grinded paste to the pan and saute it well.
- Cook the ingredients for another 5 minutes in medium flame till water dries off.
- Meanwhile beat the curd in a bowl using spoon or rai and keep it aside.
- Transfer the beaten curd to the pan and warm it (do not allow it to boil).
- Turn off the flame once it starts to boil .
- Splutter mustard seeds with oil, onion and curry leaves and pour it to cooked pachadi.
- Enjoy colorful beetroot pachadi as a side dish for rice.
- Use grater with bigger holes while grating beetroot.
- Use salt as needed.
- You can add dried redchillies for spluttering mustard seeds.