Beetroot Pachadi – Kerala style
Grated beetroot : 1 medium size
Turmeric powder : 1/4th tsp
Beaten curd : 2cup
Green chillies : 7 nos
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Grated coconut : 2 cup
Ginger : 1/2 inch piece
Cumin seeds / jeerakam : 1/4 tsp
Water : 3tbsp
Salt : as needed
Oil : 1 tbsp
Shallots : 1 large sliced
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Pachadi is a traditional South Indian side-dish similar to North Indian Raita made of fresh vegetables, Yogurt, coconut, green or red chillies sauted and garnished in oil with fried mustard seeds, ginger and curry leaves. It is usually served as an accompaniment for rice, snacks like idli, dosa etc. Pachadi can be prepared with many type of vegetables. This is a recipe for preparation of Beetroot Pachadi.
Don’t forget to check our Pumpkin pachadi recipe too.
Preparation of Beetroot Pachadi
- Clean the beetroot, grate it and keep aside.
- In a pan cook the grated beetroot, salt, turmeric powder, 1 tbsp water with lid closed and saute in between.
- Meanwhile in a mixer, grind ½ tsp mustard seeds, cumin seeds, grated coconut, ginger and green chillies into a paste form by adding 3 tbsp water.
- Once the beetroot is cooked (softened) well, transfer the grinded paste to the pan and saute it well.
- Cook the ingredients for another 5 minutes in medium flame till water dries off.
- Meanwhile beat the curd in a bowl using spoon or rai and keep it aside.
- Transfer the beaten curd to the pan and warm it (do not allow it to boil).
- Turn off the flame once it starts to boil .
- Splutter mustard seeds with oil, onion and curry leaves and pour it to cooked pachadi.
- Enjoy colorful beetroot pachadi as a side dish for rice.
- Use grater with bigger holes while grating beetroot.
- Use salt as needed.
- You can add dried redchillies for spluttering mustard seeds.
You can also try more pachadi recipes from our collection.
This entry was written on
February 7th, 2015 by Renoos
and tagged with beetroot pachadi vazhayila
, kerala sadhya
, kerala pachadi
, beetroot pachadi kerala style recipe
, beetroot pachadi andhra style
, How to make tasty beetroot pachadi
, beetroot pachadi kerala style
, beetroot pachadi recipe andhra
, beetroot pachadi with coconut
. Last revised on February 19th, 2015.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I'm Renoos, officially called as Dr Regina M, a doctor at profession, good wife at home and a budding cook in Kitchen. I'm completely in love with food and you'll most likely find me covered in flour, chocolate or both if I am not at the hospital :) You can follow Renoos at :