Kooonthal / Calamari / Kanava / Squid roast
Squid : ½ kg
Red Chilli Powder : 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Onions : 1 large, (finely, sliced)
Garlic : 4-5 cloves (crushed)
Ginger : 1 small piece (crushed)
Green Chilly : 2-3 (vertically sliced)
Tomato : 2 (medium sized, chopped)
Black Pepper Powder : 1½ tsp
Grama Masala : ½ tsp
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Coconut oil : 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Hi there, let me share an interesting recipe of Squid/ Kanava / Koonthal / Calamari fry with you, which is a very easy to prepare tasty one. Surely you all will like this awesome squid fry. Earlier when I prepares, squid it wasn’t cooked well. So I usually avoid this sea food from my menu. Yesterday I visited my aunt’s house and she gave me the proper method to prepare nadan koonthal (Squid) fry . Friends, I am sharing with you how to make this spicy delicious Koonthal roast. Have a look, of-course you couldn’t stop making it.
Squid roast preparation
- Clean the squid well and cut it into rings or square pieces (2.5cm).
- Pressure cook the squid pieces along with 1 tsp red chilly powder, black pepper powder, turmeric powder, 1/4th tsp Garam masala and salt and 1/4th cup water up to five whistles.
- If water remains in the cooker, heat it in medium flame with the lid open till it dries up.
- Mean while in a pan, pour 3tbsp oil and add the sliced onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and the remaining red chilly powder. Saute it well till the onions become transparent.
- Add tomatoes along with curry leaves and saute well.
- Transfer the cooked squids to the pan, add the remaining garam masala and mix it well for 15-20 minutes in low flame.
- Add a bit more oil if required to make roast.
- Better serve after 1-2 hours long with rice, appam, idiyappam etc..
- If you want to make squid fry, just pressure cook the squid pieces along with 1 tsp red chilly powder, black pepper powder, turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp Garam masala and salt and 1/4th cup water up to five whistles. Then just fry it in the oil in a nonstick pan.
Why not share your comments and photos with us?
Have you tried our other squid recipes too?
This entry was written on
August 30th, 2014 by Renoos
in Gravies and Curries
and tagged with easy squid fry
, how to make squid roast
, how to make koonthal roast
, koonthal roast kerala style
, how to make koontal reciepe keerala styles
, squid roast kerala style
, squid reciepe kerala syyle
. Last revised on September 13th, 2014.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I'm Renoos, officially called as Dr Regina M, a doctor at profession, good wife at home and a budding cook in Kitchen. I'm completely in love with food and you'll most likely find me covered in flour, chocolate or both if I am not at the hospital :) You can follow Renoos at :