Kooonthal / Calamari / Kanava / Squid roast
Squid : ½ kg
Red Chilli Powder : 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Onions : 1 large, (finely, sliced)
Garlic : 4-5 cloves (crushed)
Ginger : 1 small piece (crushed)
Green Chilly : 2-3 (vertically sliced)
Tomato : 2 (medium sized, chopped)
Black Pepper Powder : 1½ tsp
Grama Masala : ½ tsp
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Coconut oil : 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Hi there, let me share an interesting recipe of Squid/ Kanava / Koonthal / Calamari fry with you, which is a very easy to prepare tasty one. Surely you all will like this awesome squid fry. Earlier when I prepares, squid it wasn’t cooked well. So I usually avoid this sea food from my menu. Yesterday I visited my aunt’s house and she gave me the proper method to prepare nadan koonthal (Squid) fry . Friends, I am sharing with you how to make this spicy delicious Koonthal roast. Have a look, of-course you couldn’t stop making it.
Squid roast preparation
- Clean the squid well and cut it into rings or square pieces (2.5cm).
- Pressure cook the squid pieces along with 1 tsp red chilly powder, black pepper powder, turmeric powder, 1/4th tsp Garam masala and salt and 1/4th cup water up to five whistles.
- If water remains in the cooker, heat it in medium flame with the lid open till it dries up.
- Mean while in a pan, pour 3tbsp oil and add the sliced onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and the remaining red chilly powder. Saute it well till the onions become transparent.
- Add tomatoes along with curry leaves and saute well.
- Transfer the cooked squids to the pan, add the remaining garam masala and mix it well for 15-20 minutes in low flame.
- Add a bit more oil if required to make roast.
- Better serve after 1-2 hours long with rice, appam, idiyappam etc..
- If you want to make squid fry, just pressure cook the squid pieces along with 1 tsp red chilly powder, black pepper powder, turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp Garam masala and salt and 1/4th cup water up to five whistles. Then just fry it in the oil in a nonstick pan.
Why not share your comments and photos with us?
This entry was written on
June 12th, 2015 by Renoos
in Gravies and Curries
and tagged with squid
, how to make koonthal roast
, squid reciepe kerala syyle
, how to make koontal reciepe keerala styles
, koonthal roast kerala style
, how to make squid roast
, cook squid recipe
, squid recipes
. Last revised on June 26th, 2015.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I'm Renoos, officially called as Dr Regina M, a doctor at profession, good wife at home and a budding cook in Kitchen. I'm completely in love with food and you'll most likely find me covered in flour, chocolate or both if I am not at the hospital :) You can follow Renoos at :