Parippu vada in pure Kerala style
Share your recipes
The following information about this recipe was contributed by Sherly James: Recipe photo, Ingredients & Preparation.
Toor dal : 1 Cup
Red chillies : 3 Nos
Ginger : 1 inch piece
Shallot : 12 Nos
Curry leaves : 1 Sprig
Salt : As needed
Cooking oil : 1 cup for deep frying
Parripu vada / Dal Vada / Lentil or Dal fritters is a nadan / traditional evening snack food in Kerala. It is prepared from Toor dal. Parippu vada along with black tea is the combination and its the official food of a Kerala communist 😉 . For every Keralite, parippu vada is a nostalgia. You will love to munch these parippu vadas in a rainy day sitting idle in the balcony. Hope you all will try this and send us your photos and comments.
Parippu vada preparation
- Wash the dal thoroughly and soak it for 4-5 hours.
- Drain the water completely from the dal with a colander. If any water is remaining the vada will break apart. You can use an absorbent paper for this.
- In a mixer, grind the dal into a paste. Do not make it into a fine paste.
- Chop and crush the Ginger, Red chillies, Shallots, salt and Curry leaves finely and add it to the mix.
- Mix the mixture well.
- Roll out small portions of the mixture into lime sized ball and flatten it between the palms to give it shape.
- In a deep bottom frying pan pour the oil and heat it. Add the vadas to the oils when it become hot in medium flame. Deep fry the parippu vadas until they become golden brown.
- Serve it hot with a cup of Sulaimani (Black tea).
- In step 5, you can add Asafoetida powder, salt and powdered red pepper for making more tasty parippu vadas.
Need more vada recipes? Dont worry, try these.
This entry was written on
May 17th, 2016 by Renoos
and tagged with kerala snacks
, parippu vada recipe in malayalam
, parippu vada recipe
, parippu vada
, parippu vada recipe sri lanka
, how to make parippu vada.
, parippu vada calories
, cooking parippu vada
, parippu vada kerala style recipe
. Last revised on May 29th, 2016.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I'm Renoos, officially called as Dr Regina M, a doctor at profession, good wife at home and a budding cook in Kitchen. I'm completely in love with food and you'll most likely find me covered in flour, chocolate or both if I am not at the hospital :)
You can follow Renoos at :