Pazham pori / Banana fritters
Share your recipes
The following information about this recipe was contributed by Saumya S: Recipe photo, Ingredients & Preparation.
Ripe plantain : 4 nos
All Purpose Flour (Maida) : 1 Cup
Sugar : 2 Teaspoons
Baking Powder : 1⁄4 Teaspoon
Salt : 1 Pinch
Water : 3⁄4 Cup
Turmeric Powder : 1 Pinch
Coconut Oil : For deep frying
Pazham pori aka Ethakka appam or banana fritters is a traditional evening snack item in Kerala. Its available through out Kerala and all most all Keralites prepares it the same way. Its simply ripe banana’s coated with flour and deep fried in oil.
Pazham pori Preparation
- Mix the all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and water in a dish and blend it thoroughly to form a semi thick batter.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder to the batter to color a bit.
- Peel the bananas and slice them length wise into half and then slice each halfway into 3 or more to get the thin slices.
- Dip the slices in batter and evenly coat them.
- In a deep bottom frying pan heat some oil.
- When the oil becomes hot, dip the batter coated banana pieces and fry them until they become golden brown. Flip them in between.
- Remove from oil and drain the excess oil with paper napkins / kitchen towel.
- Serve it hot.
- Its better to use the Kerala plantains (nendra pazham) for the preparation.
- Some people add a little of crushed cumin seeds (ജീരകം) to the batter. You can add it if you want.
- Its better to serve it when the snack is still hot.
Check these banana recipes also.
This entry was written on
June 17th, 2016 by Jameela Beevi
in Appetizers and Snacks
and tagged with banana fry
, kerala banana fry
, easy pazham pori recipe
, banana pazham pori
, pazham pori kerala
, crispy pazham pori recipe
, how to make pazham pori
, evening snack
. Last revised on June 25th, 2016.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
Hi, I am Jameela Beevi from Kozhikkode Kerala, now living in Manama, Bahrain with my small family. I started cooking in 2008 after my marriage. I love to prepare and eat tasty foods. My favorites include French pastries, homemade ice creams, Indian food, and anything made with meat... :)
You can follow Jameela Beevi at :