Prepration time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Persons served: 2 Persons
- Pearlspot fish / Karimeen (medium sized) : 2nos
- Chopped Onions : ¼ kg
- Chopped Ginger : a small piece
- Chopped Garlic : a pod
- Chopped Green chillies : 4
- Turmeric powder : ¼ tsp
- Pepper powder : ½ tsp
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) : 4
- Chill1 powder : 1 ½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds : ¼ tsp
- Cinnamon : 2 small pieces
- Vinegar : 2 tbsp
- Coconut oil : 4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
Don't know about an ingredient?
Check our food dictionary!
Check our food dictionary!
Karimeen (Pearl spot fish) Pollichathu is a typical and unique Kuttanadan (Allepey) fish preparation. It is marinated with a rich blend of hot spices and then baked in a banana leaf. If you take it once, you will always carve for it again. Here is the recipe for making Karimeen pollichathu at your home.
Preparation of Kuttanadan Karimeen Pollichathu
- Clean the karimeen fishes very well and drain them well till dry.
- Make obliques incisions over it.
- Slice the onions, ginger , garlic and green chillies into small pieces.
- Make a fine paste of Chilly powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, and cumin seed with little vinegar.
- In a heavy bottom pan (uruli) pour some coconut oil and heat it.
- Fry the cinnamon pieces in the pan.
- Add the #3 to the pan and saute it well.
- When the onions become cooked thoroughly, add the ground paste (#4) and fry it well in a low flame.
- Add the tomatoes and saute it till the raw smell goes, and saute well again.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water when the mixture is well sauteed.
- Add the salt and the remaining vinegar and mix well.
- Add our fish pieces into the gravy and saute it till the gravy thickens and the fish is cooked well.
- Wrap each piece of fish, along with the masala gravy in a banana leaf. Tie it securely with banana fibers and roast it on a hot tava.
- Serve it hot with your main dishes like Appam, Idiyappam, Rice etc..
- Use fresh Karimeen and the taste will be awesome.
June 13, 2013 at 8:11 pm
Awesome recipe. We prepared it today and it was great. Love you for this recipe.
June 13, 2013 at 11:45 pm
@Renu : Glad to hear you tried our recipe and the dish came out well!!
June 27, 2013 at 7:11 pm
Is there any way I can make this without the leaf? It’s really hard to get banana leaf in here in USA..
June 27, 2013 at 7:34 pm
@Priti :try using aluminium foil. I haven’t tried it, but it may work.
Dont forget to inform me if that works..
August 2, 2013 at 11:00 am
Superb, thanking you very much..
August 2, 2013 at 11:07 am
You are welcome Smitha.. Hope your family loved the preparation.
August 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Excellent and tastes great. Thanks for sharing…!!!
August 20, 2013 at 10:08 pm
excellent recipe….i tried and it came out well..thanks
September 19, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Thanks a lot for this recipe Cini. We tried many other Karimeen pollicha recipes in the past and we were never satisfied with them. But this one, its amazing and delicious.