Kadala curry served with Puttu is the most common breakfast food in Kerala. Almost all Keralites love this classic breakfast dish.
Preparation of Kadala curry
- Soak black gram in water for 8 hours and drain the water completely.
- Pressure cook the drained Kadala (Chickpeas) along with salt, turmeric powder, coconut pieces, green chillies, shallots, chopped ginger & garlic and 1 cup of water up to 8 whistle or till Kadala become soft.
- Meanwhile in a pan pour 1 tbsp coconut oil, and when it become warm add cinnamon stick, star anise, fenugreek and saute till brown.
- Add grated coconut, cumin seeds, one shallot to the pan and roast it till it becomes brown.
- Allow the ingredients to cool and blend it into a fine paste by adding a little water in a mixer.
- In another pan pour 1tbsp coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves, coriander powder, red chilli powder and saute till it becomes warm.
- Transfer the ingredients in the cooker along with water and the grounded paste in the mixer to the above pan and mix well.
- Sprinkle garam masala , mix well and cook for another 10 minutes with the lid covered.
- Serve the Kadala curry hot with Kerala puttu, Chiratta puttu, Appam, Idiyappam etc..
- If you prefer not to use coconut, Skip the steps 3, 4 and 5.
- You can use chilli powder according to your spice level.
- You can use water until the gravy achieves your desired consistency.