Prepration time: 45 Minutes
Persons served: 6 Persons
- Mutton: 1 Kg
- Shallot/Small Onion: 25 Nos
- Big Onion: 2 nos
- Tomato: 2 Medium sized (cut into small pieces)
- Green Chilly: 2 Big (sliced lengthwise)
- Ginger: 1" piece (blended)
- Garlic: 3-4 full cloves (blended)
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 2 tsp
- Chilly Powder: 4 tsp
- Meat Masala: 2 tsp
- Pepper: 2 Table spoon
- Salt as required
- Oil as required
- Curry leaves : 2 sprigs
Don't know about an ingredient?
Check our food dictionary!
Check our food dictionary!
Its more than 2 months, this post was in draft format. Unfortunately I completely forgot to finish this post. Today I received a request from a subscriber of our’s for a mutton curry, and then only I remembered about it.
Kerala style mutton curry preparation
- Wash the mutton pieces well and cut it into small pieces. Wash again under running water.
- Drain the pieces well.
- Marinate the mutton pieces with chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, meat masala, salt and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan / cheenachatti and add oil.
- Add onions (large & small) and saute it till it becomes golden brown.
- When onions turn golden brown, add ginger, green chillies, garlic and saute it well.
- Add tomato pieces and curry leaves and stir well to get it mixed well.
- Lower the flame and saute it.
- Add the marinated mutton pieces to pan (Add 1/2 a cup of water only if you need to be as a curry).
- Mix well and keep it in low flame for 5-8 minutes stirring it in between.
- Transfer it to a pressure cooker and cook up to 3 whistles.
- You can apply some seasoning with curry leaves and oil if you wish.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot with Appam / Pathiri / Idiyappam etc.
January 3, 2016 at 10:12 am
My wife , SANGEETA (keralite born and bought up in Orissa) read this and cooked it nicely. It was tasty. She even transfered the detail over phone to her friend there at Cuttack in Orissa.
January 3, 2016 at 1:45 pm
Thanks a lot for your wonderful feedback 🙂 This made my day.
Good to hear that it came out well for you. Its a blessing for food bloggers, to have such encouraging subscribers like you.
Thanks again for taking time to leave a comment here.
September 13, 2016 at 9:35 pm
It was a very good recipe never had it before
December 27, 2016 at 9:05 am
Thank you Manjunath 🙂
September 21, 2016 at 6:07 pm
you hav’nt mentioned anything about shallots and pepper …. listed in the ingridients list …. shall i replace with onion and pepper powder respectively..
February 9, 2018 at 10:11 pm
Hi Surendran, I edited the post accordingly. Hope the confusion may had cleared.
November 28, 2016 at 8:20 am
We tried the recipe and came good.but can u please edit on the first step about onion.
U asked 25 small onions and 2 big onions.bu-t didn’t mentioned whether to chop the small onions and didn’t say whether to sauté both of them together.being an amateur it put lot of confusion in mind.
But great and simple recipe and ate with Porotta..thanks
February 9, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Hi Indern, Glad you enjoyed the recipe and it came out well for you.
I am also a beginner in food blogging 😉 Apologies for the confusion caused. Edited the post as needed.
May 14, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Thanks a lot…. This recipe was really good
May 19, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Thank you Megha for trying the recipe and for dropping the comments. Glad to know it came out well for you!
May 31, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Awesome recepie…Though I am not a good cook …This simple receipe just made me a specialist in mutton curry ..My friends are craving to have again…
May 31, 2017 at 3:10 pm
Thank you Alex fro trying the recipe and your encouraging comments. Glad to know it came out well for you.. Stay connected!
June 2, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Thanku so much cini,i tried your recipe today really good
June 8, 2017 at 12:56 am
@Dr.Naseema: Thanks for your lovely comments!
July 1, 2017 at 10:52 am
Very nice. Really tasty.
July 3, 2017 at 7:14 pm
@Dr.Bhanu – Thank you 🙂
July 21, 2017 at 8:15 am
Meat Masala is a generic term. It will be helpful if the specific ingredients that make up the Meat Masala are indicated.
October 17, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Hi Jacob, you can read about how to prepare meat masala at home from our recent post.
October 13, 2017 at 8:55 am
Shallots are there in the ingredients and not in the preparation. When to add it?
February 9, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Hi Jithesh, both shallots and big onions are added together.
December 26, 2017 at 6:50 am
1/2 cup giner and garlic?
February 9, 2018 at 7:45 pm
Sorry for the confusion caused. Its ginger and garlic together making about 1/2 cup. Updated the post to avoid confusion. 😉