Ney pathiri / Neypathal / Deep fried rice rotti
Rice Flour / Aripodi : 2 cups
Grated coconut : 1 cup
Cumin seeds : 2tsp
Shallots onions / Kochulli : 4-5 nos
Ghee : 1 tsp
Salt : as needed
Coconut oil : for frying
Water : 1 cup
The holy month of Ramzan is coming and I think I should share some Malabar recipes / Iftaar recipes this week. Ney pathiri aka Ney pathal or deep fried rice rotti is a very common breakfast / dinner dish in northern Kerala especially in Kozhikkode and Malabar.
Ney pathiri Preparation
- In a pan warm 1 tsp ghee and when its hot add water.
- When the water boils add the flour and warm it for some time in low flame and then turn off the flame.
- Sprinkle the salt.
- Blend the grated coconut along with cumin seeds and shallots into a coarse form (do not make a paste) in a mixer with a single spin.
- Add the blended mix to the flour and knead it into a smooth dough similar to pathiri (See the pathiri dough preparation).
- Roll out small portions of the dough into lime sized ball and flatten it between the palms to give it shape.
- Using a pathiri press / chappathi press / chapathi roller flatten each balls into thick disc shaped flat breads (with a thickness of 2-3 pooris).
- Pour coconut oil in a pan and heat it. When it becomes hot drop 1-2 pathiris (depending on the pan size) to the oil.
- When they start puffing up flip them and fry until they become crispy.
- Enjoy hot with a cup of tea.
- Can be served as a breakfast food along with Chicken curry / Fish curry / Mutton curry.
- You can use All purpose flour / Maida instead of rice flour too.
Need more pathiri recipes? Dont worry, try these.
This entry was written on
May 16th, 2016 by Renoos
and tagged with malabar recipes
, iftaar recipes
, ramzan recipes
, nadan snacks
, ney pathiri
, muslim food recipe
, nadan palaharam
. Last revised on May 22nd, 2016.
More mouth watering recipes!
Tried & Tasted by
I'm Renoos, officially called as Dr Regina M, a doctor at profession, good wife at home and a budding cook in Kitchen. I'm completely in love with food and you'll most likely find me covered in flour, chocolate or both if I am not at the hospital :)
You can follow Renoos at :