Prepration time: 30 Minutes
Persons served: 4 Persons
- Boneless Chicken pieces : 500 gms
- Pepper powder : ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice : 1 tsp
- Onion : 2 med-large, sliced
- Crushed Ginger & garlic : 2 tsp each
- Greenchillies : 2, slit lengthwise
- Whole Black pepper : 1¼ tsp
- Garam masala : ½ tsp
- Fennel (perumjeerakam) powder : ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ tsp
- Chicken masala : ½ tsp (optional)
- Soya sauce : 1 tsp
- Tomato sauce : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : 3 sprig
- Coconut oil : 3 tbsp
Don't know about an ingredient?
Check our food dictionary!
Check our food dictionary!
Pepper Chicken is a very popular side dish in Kerala restaurants. Its one of the dish we frequently order from our nearby hotel. Though I tried a lot of pepper chicken recipes in the past, none of them were successful. Recently I came across another recipe of pepper chicken, in a local food magazine and I tried it same day. The preparation was a finger licking one and hence I thought of sharing the recipe with our friends here.
Try this recipe and let me know your reports too.
Pepper Chicken Preparation
- Crush the peppers and keep it aside.
- Marinate the chicken with the pepper powder, lime juice (or vinegar) and salt. Keep it in freezer for 4-6 hours.
- In a pan heat oil, add the sliced onions. Saute it till they become brown.
- Add the crushed ginger, garlic, curry leaves and the green chillies.
- Saute it well for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, chicken masala, turmeric powder and fennel powder, add tomato sauce and soya sauces. Mix it well.
- Add ¼ cup water, salt and the marinated chicken pieces.
- Mix everything well and make sure that chicken pieces are thoroughly coated with mixture.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix well.
- Lower the flame, cover it with a lid and cook it until the chicken is done. Stir it in between.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add some curry leaves and cook for another 4-6 minutes.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with leafy vegetables, lime and onion.
Do you need more chicken recipes?
- How to prepare spicy Chicken pepper fry easily at home
- How to make tasty chicken pockets snacks with leftover chicken?
- Chicken buns - Prepare tasty & yummy stuffed chicken buns
- Chicken Stew, Kerala recipe
- Chicken filled Caterpillar Buns / Croissants -Tasty Croissant recipe
- Chicken korma recipe - How to make tasty Chicken Korma?
December 21, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Hi.. the way you are trying the recipes are good.. you try and try again until you get best and sharing it.. crossed so many blogs and finally got a perfect one for me.. I’m also same like you.. happy to try out your recipes..
January 17, 2020 at 6:42 am
Thank you Safia. Stay connected. Feel free to share your experiments with us too. 😉