Upmav is a healthy and delicious breakfast recipe and is very popular in south India. It is also one of the easy to prepare breakfast item. It does not take much time and upma preparation can be done in 15-20 minutes, if you have the roasted semolina ready. With the following upma recipe, you can create tasty and healthy upmav. Try it and let me know your comments.
Upma recipe instruction
- In a pan, heat ghee or oil.
- Add mustard seeds and when they starts crackling, add the cumin along with urad & chana dal.
- Fry till they become a little brown.
- Add cashews & onions.
- Fry till the onions become transparent.
- Add the green chilly, curry leaves and ginger and fry them for a minute.
- Add water to this mixture and let it come to a boil.
- Add salt and when the water becomes boiling, lower the flame and add semolina to it*.
- You can add more water if the mixture looks dry.
- Lower the flame and simmer the upma for 2-3 minutes.
- Remember to keep stirring at each step so that the upma does not stick to the pan.
- Garnish with vegetables / coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot.
- When you add semolina (Step 8), keep on stirring. Also semolina should be added in small amounts with a spoon with constant stirring to avoid lump formation (in the above video this step is different – since the video is from another chef found in the internet).
- You can add some lemon juice to give a different flavor to the upma.
- You can add finely chopped ginger, carrots along with onions.
- Keep the roasted semolina in an air-tight container. This way the semolina stays well for a longer time and does not become mouldy or spoilt.