- Ladys finger (Okra / Vendakka / Bhindi) : 12-15nos
- Grated coconut : 2 tablespoon
- Green Chilli : 4 nos
- Shallots- 2 nos
- Garlic : 2 cloves
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Mustard : 1tsp
- Coconut Oil : 2tbsp
- Salt : to taste
I was never an Okra lover, but as my hubby loves all preparations of Okra / Vedakka, I started including it in my menu. This is a simple everyday recipe (nothing of rocket science ;)) for preparing Vendakka thoran (stir fry) with grated coconut. Its my MIL’s recipe. She prepares it well and quickly in not more than 15- 20 minutes.
Try this quick and easy recipe and share your thoughts below.
Vendakka thoran preparation
- Wash the Vendakka / Okra / Bhindi well in running water.
- Trim the edges of each of them and cut them in to about half a cm wide rounds.
- Mix the grated coconut, shallots, green chillies to a coarse form in a mixer.
- In a pan / Kadai heat the coconut oil.
- When it becomes hot, splutter the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds starts crackling, add the curry leaves and okra.
- Add the ground paste (#3) to it.
- Add salt.
- Saute it well and cover with a lid. Saute it in between.
- Keep it in medium flame and stir it till it turns crispy.
- Serve hot with rice.