Thoran is a popular and common dry Kerala dish traditionally made of finely chopped vegetable (any vegetable of choice) such as, unripe jack fruit, bitter-gourd, cabbage or of leaves such as green or red cheera, Moringa etc. The chopped vegetable is mixed together with grated coconut, mustard seeds, curry leaves and turmeric powder and briefly stirred on a pan over a very hot fire. Thoran is usually served along with steamed rice. It is usually served as part of the Kerala feast /Sadhya along with other dishes.
This is the recipe for preparation of Kerala cabbage thoran. Try it and let me know your comments.
Cabbage thoran preparation
- In a pan add oil, splutter mustard seeds, onion and curry leaves and saute till onion becomes brown.
- Add shredded cabbage, salt and turmeric powder to the pan and saute.
- Meanwhile mix the grated coconut, green chillies,cumin seeds to a coarse form in a mixer.
- Add the ingredients in the mixer to the pan and saute.
- Cover the pan and cook on medium heat and saute in between.
- Cook till the cabbage become soft.
- Enjoy as a side dish for rice and serve hot.
- You can also add spring onion along with cabbage.
- If you wish use red chillies instead of green or you can use both.
- Do not use water for cooking cabbage.