- Jaggery / sharkara : 350gm
- Grinded coconut : 2 cups
- Unakkalari / Raw Rice : 1 cup
- Cardamom : 2 pods
- Ghee : 1 Tbsp
- Cashew nuts : 1 Tbsp
- Raisins : 2 tsp
Hope you all had a memorable Vishu today. Let the peace and prosperity of Vishu be with you and your family through out the year. We also had a great vishu (off course feast too) today. As you all know payasam is a must for any Kerala functions. We had two payasams for the sadhya, sharkara payasam and palada payasam. I will share you the recipe of sharkara payasam here. Try this at home next time and let me know your comments.
- Powder cardamom seeds.
- Keep the rice soaked for 20-30 minutes.
- Cook jaggery in 1 cup of water and make it into a syrup, strain and set it aside.
- Grind the grated coconut and extract the first and second milk from it.
- Cook the rice in 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker or in a heavy-bottomed vessel.
- Add the jaggery syrup to the rice, followed by the ghee and the powdered cardamom with constant stirring in low flame.
- Add the second coconut milk while stirring. When the volume is reduce to half, add the first milk and mix well. Do not allow it to boil.
- In a pan / Kadai / heat the ghee, fry raisins and fry cashew nuts till it become golden coloure. Add it to the sharkara payasam.
- Serve the payasam hot or cold.
- Remember to avoid over cooking the rice, it should not get mashed when stirred.
- Add more ghee, for a tastier version.