Prepration time: 30 Minutes
Persons served: 7 Persons
- White Rice (Pachari) - 1 big handful
- Milk (with more fat content) - 5 cups
- Sugar - 1 cup heaped (Same measurement as the milk cup)
Don't know about an ingredient?
Check our food dictionary!
Check our food dictionary!
Pal payasam (paal payasam) aka rice milk pudding is a very classic Kerala dessert prepared during celebrations and festival seasons. Onasadhya / Kerala feast is never complete without serving paal payasam at the end.
This is an easy to prepare pal payasam recipe with just three ingredients. I hope, you all will try this and let me know your comments.
Pal payasam preparation
- Wash and thoroughly dry the white rice. Give a pulse movement in a mixer (for 2 sec).
- Keep a pressure pan on the stove, Flame it and pour the milk in it.
- Add sugar, stir it until the sugar dissolves.
- Lower the flame and keep it in sim. Later add cracked white rice.
- Stir for a minute and close the cooker lid tightly.
- Put the weight on and let it cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Do not allow the whistle to come. If the whistle is about to come, switch it off for some time and again flame it in sim.
- Adjust the cooking time for around 35 minutes.
- Switch it off and leave as it is.
- The more time you keep it untouched, the more it tastes good and thus the color changes from white to pink!!
- Open up and enjoy!
- Do not add any fragrance/spices or nuts. The payasam is as delicious as it is!
August 21, 2013 at 4:57 pm
This is very tempting,
August 21, 2013 at 10:51 pm
My mum makes it on 1st day of every month for mandir-bhog 🙂 n I love it…
February 1, 2014 at 6:29 am
The recipe looks really delicious. I wish to try once with your assistance. Could you tell me what amount of rice, milk and sugar I need to make 20 cups paal payasam?
January 18, 2016 at 7:15 am
You just need to take the ingredients proportionately. So if you need it for 20 cups take three times the ingredients mentioned. We prepared for around 40 peoples last week just by taking 6 times the ingredients mentioned here. The preparation was good.
January 18, 2016 at 7:13 am
Thanks for the recipe chechi. We prepared it last week for a party. We followed the exact steps. The payasam was superb.
A small tip: You can know that the rice is cooked completely when it starts floating. I didn’t knew this. So initially I thought my preparation went wrong, because it was just like milk with whole rice at the bottom. Then mother told that you have to cook it until rice floats on the surface.
January 21, 2017 at 11:34 pm
Tried today for our wedding anniversary. turned out to be a hit! Our guests enjoyed the payasam. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
February 22, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Thank you soo much… I tried and it turned out to be too good..!! 😋
March 16, 2018 at 12:46 am
Glad to know that Lakshmi. Thanks for trying the recipe.